Enter your keyword

post

Preparing for a Career Fair

A career fair is an excellent opportunity to meet several employers, face-to-face, and to ultimately find a job. It is a great time saver, meaning you can talk to dozens of hiring employers under one roof within a very short time span. There are several things you can do to prepare for a career fair and to ensure your success including:

Things to bring:

• Professional attire-remember first impressions are lasting impressions. Wear a suit.
    • Copies of your resume (discreetly in a folder or briefcase)
    • Copy of the list of recruiting employers-check off the ones you want to see and do some research on those companies

Things to do:

• Have an idea of the companies you should visit first
  • Know your opening lines or elevator speech: a short speech about what you do and what you are looking for

Examples:

“I am graduating this June with an associate degree in Criminal Justice, and through my externship experience with the Oak Lawn Police Department, I am looking for a police officer position.”

“I am graduating this June with an associate degree in Medical Assisting and I would like to utilize the clinical skills I have gained during my externship in a Medical Assistant position with your healthcare facility.”

“I am graduating in June with an associate degree in Nursing and through my clinical experience with Little Company of Mary Hospital, I am anxious to apply those skills in a Nursing position within your organization.”

Sample questions to ask companies at the Career Fair:

• “What type of positions do you have open now?”
  • “What type of skill sets are you looking for in entry-level positions?”
  • “Are there specific career tracks in this organization?”
  • “What is the next step after the Career Fair?”

Things to do after the Career Fair:

• Follow up with any contacts you make by emailing or mailing a hand-written thank you note to the recruiter
  • Apply online for the position, mentioning you met the recruiter at the Career Fair

Northwestern College is hosting a Career Fair on Thursday, May 14 from 9:30 am-12:00 noon. The event is free to ALL Northwestern College students, alumni and to the general public. Remember to dress professionally and bring plenty of resumes.